Ground segments and operations
Since its creation in 1986, CLS has acquired expertise in all stages of satellite data production, including :
- making recommendations to major international space agencies for designing new instruments;
- installation and operational maintenance of terrestrial receiving networks;
- development, installation and operation of multi-mission satellite centers ;
- calibration, quality control, calibrating and validating processing systems;
At the CLS offices in Toulouse and Brest, our staff endeavor to optimize every stage of the satellite data production system in the following fields:
CLS operates different satellite systems that contribute to the study of the environment and the protection of our planet
CLS was created in 1986 to operate the ARGOS location and environmental data collection system. Today, CLS is still the exclusive operator of the Argos system. Over the last 20 years, CLS's strategy has been to diversify its systems while deploying recurrent services. The company currently operates 3 major satellite families (LOCATION AND DATA COLLECTION, SATELLITE OCEANOGRAPHY, RADAR/OPTICAL IMAGING).
The operations center: the heart of CLS
The CLS operations center processes :
- 6 million positions a day (ARGOS/IRIDIUM);
- data from 4 altimeters, 5 radiometers and 4 synthetic aperture radars
- up to 15,000 high-resolution images a year (radar and optical).
In total, CLS processes data from nearly 80 instruments on 40 satellites each day.
CLS's robust, secure and innovative operations center provides the highest performance levels in terms of data acquisition capacity, computing power, merging information and storage.